Saturday, July 20, 2019

Tempura Moriawase with Umami Sweet Sauce


Don't we all love tempura? The crispy texture when you sink your teeth into one of those morsels. The delicious dipping sauce that was served with it. The only thing that I ever hated about tempura is that they are so delicious I need to spend a lot of money to eat such quantity that actually satisfies me!  So what if you can make equally delicious tempura at home at a fraction of that cost? Go get your ingredients and let's eat tempura!

This recipe is really simple and its a wonder why I didn't do this earlier. Yeah yeah, the cleaning and all but hey, we are not going to eat it everyday right? Indulge in it once in a while by making a bigger batch and suck up the TLCs. I have developed a Umami sweet sauce that goes tremendously well with the tempura! 

Ingredients (Batter):
2 Tablespoon of Potato starch
6-10 Tablespoon of Plain flour
1 Cup of ice cold water (You can also choose to add 1 Cup of ice cold beer)
4 - 5 ice cubes
Some plain flour for dusting the ingredients
Cooking oil (High temperature type e.g. Peanut, canola, coconut etc.)

Ingredients (suggestion):
Sweet potatoes
Eggplant
Pumpkin
Okra
Kale
Shiitake mushroom
Oyster mushroom
Prawns/Crabs/fish fillet
(If you are using seafood, I will update with another post on my learning process when using seafood for tempura)
*Basically, whatever that is in season

Secret Tempura sauce ingredient:
1 Tablespoon Shoyu sauce
2 Tablespoon of Yukon syrup
ONE drop Lime Vitality Essential Oil
Sesame oil
Salt to taste
Chilli flakes (your preference)


Direction:
  1. Cut up the ingredients into desired shape and size. For eggplant, halves it lengthwise and cut them into sections followed by fanning.
    Image result for eggplant tempura fanning cut
  2. Heat up the cooking oil.
  3. Dry the ingredients and dust them with plain flour. Shake off the excess flour. Set aside.
  4. Mix the batter ingredients together. Don't mix it too finely, it is supposed to be lumpy. 
  5. Drop some batter into the frying pan to check whether the oil is bubbling hot.
  6. If it is hot, coat the ingredients (one-by-one) into the batter and drop into the oil.
  7. Fry until slightly golden brown. Remove, shake off excess oil and place on a rack to cool down. 
  8. Add the Shoyu sauce, Yukon syrup, ONE drop of Lime Vitality Essential Oil, a dash of sesame oil and salt into a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust to preference.
  9. Drizzle some sauce on the rice, place your tempura on top the rice, drizzle with the secret tempura sauce, drizzle with some chili flakes or paprika (optional) and serve!



NOTE:
This is a FREE website and also my source of income to support my family. If you liked the recipes that I am posting and appreciate the effort I put into developing these recipes, you could help by using This Link to purchase your Essential Oils. 

If you would like to consider using Essential Oils for cooking, you can get yours from here as this is where I got mine from. The reason for using this brand of Essential Oil is due to the reliable sources of their raw ingredients (own plantations) and the patented distillation technology employed by the company.

I also conduct workshops/classes for groups, so if you would like to engage my service please send me a direct email: seage79@gmail.com. You may also like to consider attending a dinner hosting at my humble abode (A group of 4-8) or engaging me to prepare a meal for a group of your friends at a designated place of your choice.

Last but not least, please note that I spend a considerable amount of my time and effort to develop this website, so if you would like to use any information or resources from my website, the least I could ask you to do is to give credit and provide a link for your readers to visit my page. Thanks in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment