Monday, January 7, 2019

Bon is Gone. My beautiful 小狗狗. My Bon Bon.

7th January 2019



Today marked the day that we have all anticipated but yet will receives it with least joy and excitement. Bon Bon has finally breathed his last breath. He has battled a breathing difficulty for close to 2 years and has experienced multiple bouts of body cramp that threatened to snatch him away from us except that it has been foiled by our timely and effective resuscitation. Today, it seems that Bon Bon has decided to leave on his own terms. His good fight ended while all of us except for my wife are not at home. I have took off to work and my boys are in school. He left us with only my wife close to him.


We have planned for his boarding during Chinese New Year between 4th - 7th Feb and my wife has also booked an appointment for his grooming today. Before leaving for work in the morning, he has sat and waited for me in front of my bedroom and refused to budge from that position. I stroked him on his neck a couple of times before I put on my shoes to go to wok. Usually he would come over and rubbed his face on my leg while I am putting on my socks but today, he just remained in front of my bedroom, seeming to wait for the boys and my wife to wake up, to bid his final goodbye. From my wife's account, the boys managed to bid their Bon Bon goodbye before taking off to school. Perhaps he is indeed waiting for them to do so before he decided to leave us.

At around 11:30AM, my wife called and asked me to head home immediately anticipating that Bon Bon will be leaving us. I picked up my kick scooter and rushed home as fast as I could. My heart was tugging at the possibility of not seeing my Bon Bon ever again. I felt a lump in my throat but decided that this is no time to breakdown but instead to reach home the soonest possible. When I reached home, I was late. All I saw is Bon Bon's lifeless body. Without question, I gave his still and warm little body a good 5 minutes CPR hoping that it will work but alas, Bon Bon's purpled tongue did not revert to its pinkish form. I know for sure that Bon Bon has left us... At that moment, I just can't hold it back anymore. I experience the same grief that I had when my late brother passed away... My Bon Bon has truly left me.

Bon Bon, you have been with us for the passed 11 years. My family and my life was never the same the moment you set your beautiful almond shaped eyes on me at Pet Station in Serangoon Gardens. I still recalled how we clicked immediately when you licked my fingers and face the moment I picked you up from a group of others puppies. I knew that you have loved me before I even learned to loved you. You have been such a good boy Bon Bon. Despite all my imperfections, you have remained a loyal friend. I hope I have been a good boy to you too and I know even if I have not, you would love me all the same.

I know I won't be able to sing you the following song during your cremation later today @ 630PM. But I hope that the memory of me singing you this song will accompany you to the thereafter:

My Bon Bon 
(To the Tune of My Bonnie)

My Bon Bon's a very cute puppy
My Bon Bon's avery good friend
My Bon Bon's a very cute puppy
So bring back my Bon Bon to me

Bring back x 2
Oh bring back my Bon Bon to me, to me
Bring back x 2
Oh bring back my Bon Bon to me






I am not sure whether we will meet in the thereafter but I hope you will be there with Fat Fat, waiting for me at the Pearly Gates, barking celebratory at me... doing the doggy merry-go-round dance.


1 comment: