Thursday, June 11, 2009

Kuching: Borneo in 3 Days (Day1 and 2)

Day 1 and 2

Ahh Kuching, the feline city of East Malaysia... I guess that is how they got the name Felicity. The first time I've been to this place was a couple of years back for a short trip with my wife. The initial impression of Kuching is very much biased, no thanks to the media, that it is "Ulu" (Guess what? The word Ulu is really the name of one of the many native tribes in Sarawak and they lived very very deep in the forest) but I guess the media owes me and especially the Felinese an apology for portraying or seemed to suggest that they still lives up on the trees. Kuching is the capital of Sarawak, which in turn is one of the States in Malaysia. The predominant population in this area is made up of the many native tribes, malay, chinese, indian (I don't see many though) and other minorities and please note that the population demographic scale does not come in that order.

The "Orang Ulu" house @ Cultural village


We had purchased the SIN-KCH air ticket with AirAsia and the return with Tiger Airways and such arrangement actually helped us save a couple of dollars. For this trip, we decided to lodge in the budget Tune Hotel, which is under the AirAsia management. The 3D2N room costs us slightly more than RM150 (S$63 approx.) and the room is truly made for the genuine midget. The stay was abysmal to me and I vowed to my wife that "Even if I don't have money, I wouldn't want to stay in this kinda hotel". Ermm, that makes me seemed pretty Atas and perhaps I should blamed it on the Marriott Vacation Club for spoiling my standard of expectation when it comes to hotel lodgings.

The accomodation is not too bad... but subjectively, its all that comes with it that got the ABYSMAL rating from me. We checked into that hotel late evening around 11:30 and was given room 214. So off we go to the room and was firstly greeted with the fact that the room is smaaaa~~ll, which our Felinese friends have warned us. The room comes with a queen size bed and a narrow walk path... but the part we could still rejoice in is that it has its own bathroom which is quite nicely done up. So I slotted the hotel card into the clocking machine to switch on the power. Slot. Slot. Slot. Reverse slot. Upside down slot. Backward slot. Nothing happened. I went down to ask the receptionist to check and he offered to change the room to room 213 and got the maintenance supervisor to help us. Up we go again and the supervisor opened the door and slot the hotel card in room 213 and it worked. Then he proceeded to room 214 to help us with the luggage. He slotted the card into the clocking machine and the power is up! Geez, as such we told him that we will remain in 214. He's cool and gave us that card and went downstairs. So I slotted that card again and DARNED! It still won't work?!?!??!!??!?!?

I went downstair to complain and requested to change room and this time round we requested for the inner most room on 2nd level. Took the card, head to our room, open the door, slot the card... Praise God it worked! So we move our luggage and stuffs to this room (Can't recall the number). We unpack and get ready to shower and sleep. I then proceeded to switch on the air-con [Tips 01: The hotel charge your air-con utility by bulk of 12 hours, which they termed it as credit. So 1 credit = 12 hours] and guess what? The air-con is not cold and despite leaving it ON for 30mins, the corridor outside the room is still colder... aarrghghg~!!!!!!! By that time, it is almost 1am+ and there we are running up and down to the reception to request for a change in our room. [Tips 02: The hotel room does not have intercom so better ensure all things are in order before proceeding to your room]

So once again, I have to go down to the receptionist and request to change to the room next to our current one. This room still has its flaw... the bed smelled like damp carpet. Not really as strong, but bad enough. Good thing my wife and I always brought along our Lampe Berger during our trip so that kinda get rid of the smell for the night. By the time I got to sleep, its almost 2am+, so tell me...how can I not rate it ABYSMAL?
[Tips 03: The hotel does have bigger rooms. Proceed to the lift and you will find a floor plan with all the rooms & numbers on that level. Request for the bigger room from the reception at no extra charge]

Alright, enough of the hotel already. Lets see what is there to do in Kuching. Many Felinese will tell you that there is nothing much to do in Kuching except to eat. True and NOT True (Untrue if you prefer)! There are always things to do depending on what may attract/excite/ interests you. My Felinese friend laughed at me whenever I ask them where is the pepper plantation in Kuching. Perhaps they do not understand that you don't see that in Peninsular Malaysia or other places but Sarawak, which is famed for its superior grade pepper corns. Who knows, maybe James Brooke is also there because he liked his steak to be served in black pepper sauce. Anyway, one of the to do list in Kuching is to buy their local peppercorns, which is bigger and 'full-er' that their other cousins sold in the Peninsular. I bought plenty for my relatives, godbrother, neighbours and colleagues. They also sell pepper flavoured candy!
 
Pepper tree @ Cultural village

Raw peppercorn

When you are in Kuching, you must sample their local food, which is totally unique especially their Kon Loo Mee, Mirin/ Pirin/Birin, 3 layered Teh C and Laksa! Jackson, whom I got to know through my wife is our local guide to the makan place but on this trip however, we got another couple to entertain us too and they are the newly-wed couple Sharon and Terry (S and T). My wife got to know Sharon on one of the many flights she took to Kuching for her Lampe Berger business and they eventually became friends. Sharon took the pain to fly from Kuching to Terengganu and attended Betty and my island wedding.

S and T brought us to eat at the 'Open Market'. We had Kon Loo Mee, Sao Mai and Laksa there. Well, the food was not very impressive but it is a good starting point for me to be able to tell what's good or better. Betty and I tried the local dim sum at Xiao Ba Wang and same thing, not very impressive too. Perhaps we need to eat a lot more at other places and EAT we did! So to cut the story short, we have come to a list on some of the better heavyweight food in Kuching and they are as follow:

 
Laksa @ Chuen Chun (Rate 5/5)
The soup is super delicious. Each slurpful of bee hoon is perfected
by the aroma from the combination of spices in the soup. The prawns
are not necessary but with it, it completes a perfect bowl of Laksa!
You have not been to Kuching if you have not tasted this bowlful of goodness.



Kon Loo Mee w/o coloring @ Casket Street (Rate 4/5)
This bowl of noodle looked deceivingly bland.
The natural taste combo of the prawn, pork and fried onion
gave each slurpful of noodle a delight! Must try!


3 Layered Teh C (Rate 4/5)
Another must try in Kuching. The tea is served beautifully
in 3 layers of liquid i.e. coconut syrup, condensed milk and tea,
thus giving it the famous "3 layered" name.
Although it is a great beverage, it should not be
taken regularly as it will make one inflate.



Mirin/Birin/Pirin @ Bla Bla Bla (Rate 3/5)
A local wild vegetable that is abundant and at its best after a heavy downpour.
They are staple of the native tribes but make its way to the favourite food of the locals too.
Usually stir fried with sambal but the one below is a salad which is a yummo!

I have forgotten to take the photos of the Goreng Pisang at the Temple Street (Don't know its exact name) and they tasted awesome! Highly recommended. I think I shall upload some of those not so impressive food photos to so that you may either avoid or prove me wrong ;).


Lo Mai Kai @ Xiao Ba Wang (rate 2/5)
Flavor is so-so. Glutinous rice is kinda loose,
thus doesn't have the Q'ness to the bite.



Much-raved-about Kway Chap by Jackson (Rate 2/5)
So-so. While the noodle is smooth, the broth is not intense enough.
If you are one for light food, you may find this just nice. ;)
 

Regular Kon Loo Mee w coloring (Rate 2.5/5)
The coloring sort of gave it the sweet taste.Ingredient is kept to minimum as not to overkill 
the main ingredient i.e. noodle which is good in terms of Q'ness. I find it too dry though.

**Note: All rights reserved. If you like any photos found in this blog or would like to engage me in any assignment, please e-mail me for more details at seage79@gmail.com.

1 comment: