Monday, May 11, 2009

The Coat and All

Bon Bon, like all Pomeranians, has double layer of coat. One is the long, straight, glistening and harsh outer coat which is easily visible when one sets his/her eyes on a Pom. The other is the under coat which is the short coat that kept the Poms warm as well as functioning as a layer of protection from liquid penetrating their body. These under coats are abundant on the shoulder and chest area, giving the Poms manes. Well, these info will come handy in the later part of this posting. ;-)

Having Bon Bon back 3 days after the break-away was truly a heart-warming period but it also beckons us to make some adjustments and actions. I have just set up a physical barrier on the front door yesterday to prevent Bon Bon from trying to sneak out of the house again, but this of course will cause all of us the inconvenience of having to remember to step across the barrier every time we needed to go out and my instinct told me that within the next few days, someone would tripped and break the barrier which also means that I have to re-build the barrier as much as it might inconvenient us.




The next item that is on the to-do list is for whoever that is the last person to leave the house MUST keep Bon Bon in the Pen. I have just enlarged Bon Bon's pen ironically on the day Bon Bon went missing. Now it is at least 0.7sq ft larger than his previous pen so he has more space to himself. I made the pen by connecting several BBQ wire mesh with cable ties, which allows me to shape the pen in the form that is optimum to the small space of my flat. The mesh is then secured with some weights and for my case, I use my old dumb bells.



Whenever we are leaving the house, Bon Bon would bark and howl even to the point of angry barking if we refuse to bring him out for a walk but that is not the reason why we decided to pen him in. We used to let him roam around in the house with exception of the kitchen and our room but the fact that he has "marked" (Read pee-pee) the sofa, coffee table's leg, shoe rack and what nots every single time we left him at home despite his pleas to bring him out made me reached the conclusion that he does that on purpose to spite us for leaving him home alone. Don't get me wrong, he is toilet trained and would do his business on the newspaper, but the rampant marking only happens in the situation mentioned earlier so I can't help but having that kind of conclusion.

Bon Bon's coat was a little fuzzy when he came back, so we gave him regular daily grooming for the past 3 days to ensure that his coat is not tangled and he would appear handsome and confident. On one of the grooming session, Betty found to her horror...

"TICKS!!!! AIYYYIIEEEE!!!" Betty screamed!

But more to her horror, it is not only one as she groomed through Bon Bon's dense coat but quite a number of them. And to top the cake with icing, she found one big fat 0.8cm tick on Bon Bon...

"BIG FAT TICK!!! AIYYIIEEE!!!" Betty screamed again.

"Dear, I think we got to give Bon Bon a shave", she said.

"Huh?" I replied.

"If we don't shave him, the ticks will multiply and soon will become very jialat (meaning tedious in hokkien)" Betty added.
"Oh well, if you must..." I replied reluctantly.

"I will bring him to the pet salon at Serangoon Gardens tomorrow" she said.
"..." I hold my silence.

So Bon Bon is not going to be the handsome him today and most likely for months ahead until his coat starts to grow again. I guess that is the price you pay for being a 3-days runaway dog.

Bon Bon before haircut

...

...

...

There you go!
One more to last you for the day! Bon Bon the Chihuahua!

**Note: All rights reserved. If you like any photos found in this blog or would like to engage me in any assignment, please e-mail me for more details at seage79@gmail.com.

8 comments:

  1. haha he really looks like a chihuhahua!!!

    And oh yes, u better clear and check your hse.. coz these ticks are crazy. they multiply damn fast. even if u shave bon bon, they are everywhere... and when his fur starts growing, they wil start attaching themselves to him again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johnatha, the barrier at hte front door u can tie from Outside in by cable ties (tie onto the gate instead), u can saw the board into 2 pcs according to the size of the gate at each side. In that way nobody will tripped or Bon Bon will not sneak out too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Furrycars: I tried to sanitize my house already but hopefully it is thorough enough. I just saw one more tick on Bon Bon's back yesterday. Any good suggestion? The person at the pet shop suggested "Front Line" for the tick problem but its kinda ex.

    Doglover: Brian, I had a good laugh myself when l saw him after the shaved :x.

    Nicky: Hi Nicky, thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have already attached two pieces of wire mesh as per what you have suggested and Bon Bon still managed to wiggle out when the gate is open. The board is really to prevent him from sneaking out again regardless of whether the gate is open or closed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. U can buy the "Front Line Spray 100ml" from Serangoon Nrth Ave 1, the shop is just next to the big aquaruium shop which is near to the CC.
    I brought mine at $19. I like to shop around that area, prices compare to others places are reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really look like a wawa! what a complete makeover & where did those ears come from? haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. is tt the same dog with n without his fur? oh, he def looks a million $ WITH fur. pls don't be so cruel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I haven't replied to the rest yet. Apologies!

    Nicky: We ended up just applying apple cider vinegar on Bon Bon and dry it with a hairdryer... sorta like a fumigation process and it worked thus far. Thanks for the advice. ;)

    bnb: Now he looked more like a Shiba Inu already... Such a good investment, 3 dogs in 1 HAHA!

    Terri: Can't help it, the undercoat is too thick that both my wife and I could not find the ticks that are hiding in it. Oh, and trust me when I say the shaving is not my idea.

    ReplyDelete