Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Seoul Korea in 3 Days (Day 2)

It has been long since my last post and let me pick up what I have left wanting and also to pen it down before it eludes my memory.

After having our fill at Noryangjin Fish Market, the next destination is Changdeukgung (昌德宮) and as the same with all the palaces in Seoul, make special note that a good pair of walking shoes are a total MUST! Changdeukgung is second only to Gyeongbokgung in size and the need for a good pair of walking shoes are necessary here is due to the steepness of the trail in the garden and trust me, you wouldn’t want to bring your old folks here. You have been warned!

One a fair side, a walk in Changdeukgung is one to be remembered if you have plenty of time to kill. Oh, remember that the last tour is at 15:00hour and if you are late, you won’t be able to enter the garden at all as it is simply too big and the management has foresee people to either get lost in there or took forever to come out. Again, you have been warned! During the walking tour, the feeling is simple serene as you hear nothing from the city and I felt that I was there back in time. You see the giant magpies hopping around without a world’s care and the tranquillity on the surface of the pond (Well, its frozen, that’s why) just completes the picture of an unspoilt ancient civilisation. In fact, I could almost feel the concubines running and playing in this garden (Of course, its just my imagination). I know it sounded a little freakish but it sort of invoke this kind of feeling to me in a good way. Try it out and do it earlier in the day so that you have all the time to explore. Remember to NOT make any other plans following a visit to this palace for the day so that you will not be disappointed.



Do visit Paris Croissant when you are in Seoul.
It surprises me how well the Koreans can bake.

My wife couldn't resist taking along a cuppa

The entrance to Changdeukggung

It is either the Korean emperor loves these design or they are short of
good architects during those days.


This is what you see when you enter. Nothing much of the palace really, it is the garden that kills you.

Maple leaves on a frozen pond

The first pavilion we saw in the garden, there are a few more.

My initial plan is to head to N'Seoul Tower to catch the blue hour...
Of course, from this photo you can tell that I didn't make it.

Autumn leaves makes beautiful photos. Remember to look down!


The Garden!

The beauty of the autumn leaves even after fall...





Pine trees are in abundance in Korea.

Korean barbecue dinner in the evening.

Good stuff!

Pork belly. I once attended a cooking class and the chef told me that
fat = flavour and if that is true, this is truly flavorful. It is.
Note that the hot pan was designed in a way that any excessive oil will drip to
a bowl and in that way, the meat will grill rather than fried. Ingenius!

IF you can read Korean, that is the name of the restaurant.

**Note: All rights reserved. If you like any photos found in this blog or would like to engage me in any assignment, please e-mail me for more details at seage79@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment