Monday, February 8, 2010

Rome Day 6

18th Dec 2009


The day that I dreaded yet am looking forward to has finally arrives. We have booked a car from Europcar for the promotion that it offered to easyjet's passengers. I have pre-booked a Peugeot 308 SW and has already started to imagine how it would felt to operate one especially on a left driver seated car. One thing left me perplexed is that IF I were to rent the car for a day, it will costs me more compared to renting it for 3 days... unbelievable? Believe it! IT only costs me €75.43 plus administration cost of €3.


The view of Villa Borghese in the morn reminded me
how blessed I am to be able to behold such beauty



The car rental office that we chose is right on top of the Cinecitta Metro on the via Tuscolana but take note that the car is NOT located in the rental office but at another location which I have no idea where it is. Thank God that instead of a Peugeuot 308, they gave me a hatchback BMW E81 instead and boy, it was great to drive that car! To make it more adventurous, we didn't even rented a GPS! So its pretty much up to our sense of direction. God knows where we'll end up in but that doesn't really made us scrape the plan... we just go along... and along... and along... After what seemed to me like thousands of signing and chicken-and-duck talk with the local people found on the gas stations, groceries and what-not to point us to the right direction, we finally made it to our first stop, Castel Gandolfo!


The steering wheel of the hatchback BMW E81


My beautiful wife beside our rented BMW E81



Castel Gandolfo is situated on the southern part of Rome and where the Pope himself having his summer vacation here in his summer villa beside the lake Albano. The place is truly a beauty to behold and no wonder the Pope likes it here... and we managed to stumble upon a gem of a hotel and have a meal there although I have already pre-packed two sandwiches and a big flask of hot chocolate. The name of the hotel is Antico Hotel Lucia Pagnanelli and the restaurant of Ristorante as they would say in Italian is called Ristorante Pagnanelli.


The view of the entrance of the Villa Pontifica di Castel Gandolfo


The view along via Palazzo Pontificio


Initially we only intended to order a cup of espresso so that we could use their rest room but upon entering the restaurant and having a first hand experience of the terrific view over-looking the lake Albano from the balcony, we decided to order a plate of gnocchi in white truffle oil and enjoy the setting instead. There are service charges for having your meal in the restaurant itself (As do other restaurants/cafes) and they serve us some of the best bread we had in our lives! Freshly baked with great golden crust and generous filling of olives and walnuts... it makes the bread too good to be the appetizers! On request with no additional charges, we got a big serving of some local butter and it was oh-so-heavenly. I think we spent around 1+ hour just enjoying ourselves there... MUST TRY! The location? Its at Via Gramsci 4 or you can just click here to get more detail.


Lake Albano view from the balcony of Ristorante Pagnanelli


The cozy setting of Ristorante Pagnanelli

Menu on the table


Freshly baked Olive+walnut bread. Awesome stuff!


Gnocchi with white truffle oil


All the butter that you can eat... FOC!


Our next location is Arricia, a small town 10 minutes away from Castel Gandolfo (If you get your direction correct...we did, yay!). The reason that made me keen on visiting this town is the church of Assunta and the beautiful bridge, Ponte di Arricia that you will chance upon prior to entering the town. We hang around this area by walking around the small town until dusk and quickly make our way to our next destination, which is another 15 minutes away, Nemi.

The abundance of road signs can either help you find your way
or walk against you by confusing you and keeping your eyes
away from the traffic... yaiks!


Ponte di Arricia. You can see the dome of the church of Assunta
on the right-hand side of the photo.


The gate to Arricia via Ponte di Arricia


The church of Assunta by Bernini


Some of the beautiful common house
that you will find all around Arricia


The view of Arricia from the Ponte di Arricia during sunset

My beautiful wife and the beautiful Arricia sunset.

This little town is situated along a cliff over looking lake Nemi. I wonder how magnificent it will be during day time? Nemi is famous for its wild strawberries, which are smaller and sweeter than commercially grown varieties. Nemi's strawberries are grown on the sides of the volcanic crater, which creates a microclimate that retains the warmth of the sun and provides a wind shield. Nemi conducts an annual festival of strawberries (Source: Wikipedia).


The breath-taking view of Nemi


The local products. Nemi strawberries are popular throughout Italy

What better way to get to know a place
then to stroll around and taking in the sights
each step you take


My wife and I strolled along this serene village and enjoying the peaceful environment. There is one hotel here that I would like to stay on my next trip (I have no idea when, but I would like to do it still) back here. The name of the hotel is Piccolo Hotel and the price per room is pretty affordable (€50-80 per night incl. breakfast) and it looked way better than decent.


The dining area of Piccolo Hotel

Bar counter of Piccolo Hotel


Dining al fresco here must be a real treat!
This place is usually beaming with tourist.
It is winter when I visited, so no tourist
but it also meant no al fresco either. :(

I mentioned that I booked the car for three days right? There is one problem, no free parking!!! OK OK, there are parking near my hotel but it will costs me €25-30 per night! So 2 nights = €50-60!! I decided that it is too expensive to park the car so instead, return the car that day itself. But overall, €75 for a day of fun and adventure, it is truly worth it! Do consider doing this as you will see more on the true charm of Italy.

**Note: All rights reserved. If you like any photos found in this blog or would like to engage me in any assignment, please e-mail me for more details at seage79@gmail.com.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Johnathan,

    Your pictures of Rome are AMAZING! This is a great blog - very descriptive and it really sets the scene well.

    I have a question for you about the hotel you stayed in in Castel Gandolfo. Next week, we will be having our wedding in the Antico Ristorante Pagnanelli (I can't wait - it's such an amazing place!) and we are staying in the Antico Hotel Lucia Pagnanelli, same as you.

    Did you find that it was a nice hotel to stay in? Was it comfortable and pleasant?

    Also, while I'm asking - was there a wedding in the restaurant on the day that you were there? And if so, was there any dancing and music etc?

    I have a load of questions but I just mainly wanted to see what you thought of the hotel because I can't find any reviews of it online.

    Thanks for any response Jonathan!
    All the best,
    Keith...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith

    Thanks for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed the photos and the post.

    Firstly, let me congratulate you on your wedding and on top of it, having it in Antico Ristorante Pagnanelli is simply the envy of many. I could imagine it to be a truly magical and memorable event for the two of you.

    As for your question, I wish I have the answer for it but I only drop in for a meal, therefore did not stayed at the place. The restaurant is totally empty when I visited and that would answer most of your question. However, as you can see, there is a piano there and I am sure the hotel could/would arrange for a pianist at a special event like yours. I would imagine some jazz music and the sort would set the idyllic mode for your perfect wedding.

    As for dancing, the place seemed pretty packed so I suppose that would not be possible unless the restaurant are willing to make special arrangement for that purpose.

    I am sorry, I hope I could be of more help. Perhaps you could share with me your experience after your wedding and hope these Little Things will be able to help some other people in future.

    Once again, congratulation Keith and happy blissful marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonathan!

    Thank you so much for your response! I am actually writing this message from the hotel room! It's very nice and the view is amazing.

    I will send a more complete message about the experience of the wedding (which will take place on Friday) when I return home to Dublin.

    Once again, thank you for responding so promptly and thank you again for this blog - it's really good! It was nice to have an online reference to the place we're staying in because, as I think I said, the hotel doesn't get many mentions online.

    All the best Jonathan - chat again soon!
    Keith...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure has been long since but wonder if you would be sharing your story at this hotel.

      Delete
  4. I really like youг blog.. veгy nicе сolors & theme.
    Did you make this website уourself or did you
    hire ѕοmeοne to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I'm looκіng to desіgn my оwn blog
    and would liκe to fіnd out where u got
    this from. thanks

    Αlsο visіt my wеb blog:
    gaеtа іtaly ()

    ReplyDelete