Thursday, June 1, 2017

Project WWWT Dining @ Maze Grill by Gordon Ramsay

Gordon Ramsay has been one of the chefs that I would go out of my way to see. Four years back in 2013, Gordon Ramsay visited Singapore in an event organised by SingTel whereby the Singapore Citizens are engaged to vote for Singapore's top local dish cooked by respective local chefs or experts and GR will cook off with the local experts/chefs on the top three highest voted dish viz. the Chili crab, Laksa and the famed Chicken rice.I recalled that I almost got into a fight with someone just to secure a spot to photograph GR in action.


So when you are in London, how can you not visit one of the many restaurants owned by the man himself? I follow GR on his FB, so naturally Maze Grills and Petrus was on my mind. After checking the menu and the respective pricing, I am amazed that Maze Grills' price was very affordable, hence without much hesitation I made a reservation to dine at this restaurant at Mayfair. The restaurant's location is but a stone's throw away from Hyde Park. 

I was kind of disappointed that the first reservation made on 30th May did not materialised and we almost missed the reservation made on 31st May too. However, to cut the story short, we managed on the 31st May with a 745PM slot. Deep inside, I was almost like when my boys was about to get their ice creams, not any ice cream but a Belgium ice cream.



The service is first class all the way. The lighting is a little dim though as I noted that it is a culture here to have dim ambiant lighting. The waiter explained all the dishes to us in detail, which was really a treat. Amidst all these fan fare, the real prove of the pie is in the eating. What can I say? I was blown away! Being someone bestowed with high taste/sensory buds and a passion for cooking, I would always try to emulate or figure out how a certain dish is made when I visit a restaurant. Maze Grill is one of those that I didn't bother to do so as it was way above what I could do.

We are served with sourdough bread with unsalted butter lightly sprinkled with crusted sea salt. It is truly good! The crust is crisp but not too tough. The inside of the bread soft but with substance, unlikely many that are too light or fluffy.



Then the main course. I ordered a medium rare 21 days dry aged native breed beef sirloin. How could a piece of meet be so flavourful? I didn't taste any marinade on the beef. The colour of the steak, impeccable. The medium rare meat, right on. The smokiness of the steak, to die for! Most of those in my dining party was in high heavens while eating their steak...


We also ordered the dessert albeit being too full. We ordered the Eton Mess (Someone please kill me now, this is soooo good!), the lime sherbet and GR's signature cheese cake (Awesome stuff although I somehow like the texture lighter).


The rest of the photos.






No comments:

Post a Comment