Saturday, September 3, 2011

Seoul for Family Trip (Part 2)

Back 2 Seoul - 21st March 2011


Today started rather slow as I am expecting my wife to arrive in Incheon and of course , yours truly will meet her in the airport. So I have some time to kill in the morning and thus decided to do something less hectic so I brought the gang to Kimchi Museum. in COEX Mall.. I know, its boring but let's do it anyway for the been-there-done-that reason as well as to kill time. Having said that though, if you have no idea what Kimchi is and what's the rave about this national dish OR if you have kids, I am darned sure that this place will be great for you! How to go there? You can take a subway Line 2 to Samseong and lookout for COEX Mall. The mall is quite large so you will need to ask for some direction. No advance booking is needed, just pop by and buy a ticket. It costs KRW3,000 per adult, KRW2,000 for 9-19 and KRW1,000 for those below 9 years old.


 

Plastic models of various types of Kimchi and it looked like pickles
to me. I guess most of the other type of
Kimchi didn't gain as
much popularity that those made with Napa cabbage.

Kimchi preparation is as close to the Koreans as the pasta to the
Italians or Rice to the Chinese. Every household would have a
designated Dongguk holding area. There are even a tradition
that women who doesn't know how to make
Kimchi will not be
able to find a husband. Yeah, it is that hardcore!


Most (If not all) of the displays would have a
explanatory signs like these in Korean and
English so it is truly tourist friendly.
After the visit, the next time someone asks you why someone would want to eat Kimchi, you could tell them the benefits of Kimchi as follow:

~ High source of fibres, vitamins and minerals
~ Contains Lactobactili that aids the cleansing of the intestine by killing off the bad bacterias
(It contains FOUR TIMES more Lactobactili than yogurt drink!)
~ Low calory count that aids in weight control
~ Anti-carcinogenic (Cancer fighting) and anti-ageing effect (Really??)
~ Lowering LDL Cholesterol

Oh, for those that have not tried Kimchi before, it is basically pickled or perhaps more aptly, fermented vegetables. Having said that, however, some variation of Kimchi does have funny stuffs like fish guts, oysters and other seafood thrown into the Dongguk pots during the fermentation processed. The most famous Kimchi of them all are the spicy ones made with Napa Cabbage that you will be served with at any Korean restaurants you visit. For beginners, you may tried young Kimchi i.e. lesser than 1 week and may progress (If you wish) to those aged more than 2 weeks and to those ultimo, the vintage Kimchi i.e. aged more than 1 year! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try it backwards as you will be put off Kimchi for good at the taste of the vintage ones... Its like eating Blue Cheese for your first try at cheese in your life. Kimchi is not exceedingly spicy (It can though!) and has a sourish (Fermented) spicy taste to it. I somehow have this feeling that Kimchi is almost similar (Not similar but almost) to Durian whereby it is acquired. I personally loved Kimchi and made my own Kimchi, but I do have this to say... that it does makes your fridge smells like the whiff of air after the Garbage truck has just passed by your house.

We went for BBQ restaurant again but this time round with the
whole family save for my FIL. This is the first instance where my
mum threw a tantrum... In front of everybody ( x_x )


My brother in law and PS. After the first visit
yesterday night, they are more experienced
already and knew what to eat and what to avoid.

Did I mentioned that my mother didn't wear any sweater but regular clothing as what you would in Malaysia? Nothing special? The temperature in Seoul when we visit was around 2-11°C. Not shocking? Even with such modest clothing and freezing temperature, she perspires too!!! I have no idea what to say of this phenomenon but it simply awed me. Well, the story ain't the same with my father in law. He wore a sweater and his business suit only. He fell sick the next day and it sustained for 3 days! To make it worse, its his birthday!! Initially, we thought of having a birthday dinner with him but changed plans due to this... unforeseeable circumstances.

Its my FIL's birthday and we had bought a cake
from Paris Baguette to celebrate this occasion!
Its a surprise!!!


I'll have to say, the Koreans had great skills when it comes to their pastries and cakes! It all looked really really good and tastes awesome too! There are many Dunkin' Donuts outlets in Seoul and their popularity is akin to seeing McDonalds in Singapore, which means you'll see it everywhere! But my personal favourite is still Paris Baguette. I know, you may say that these are franchises and their recipes and standard wouldn't differ much. IF that's you, you can never be more wrong! Test this saying "Each franchise's quality differs one country to the other" and leave me a feedback afterwards. For myself, the McDonalds food in Malaysia will never beat its cousins in Singapore and the opposite is true for KFC. As for Dunkin' Donuts, neither Singapore nor Malaysia beats Korea's!


**Note: All rights reserved. If you like any photos found in this blog or would like to engage me in any assignment, please e-mail me for more details at seage79@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment